Articles Posted in Child Support

Going through a divorce is undoubtedly a challenging experience, but what happens if your former spouse fails to comply with court-ordered obligations after the divorce is over? In Mississippi, as in many other states, people who disregard court orders related to divorces can face consequences through contempt proceedings. Filing for contempt can be a strategic step to make sure your ex complies with the terms of your divorce. Let’s delve into the process of filing for contempt after a divorce in Mississippi.

Understanding Contempt of Court:

Contempt of court occurs when a person willfully disobeys a court order. In the context of divorce, this could involve failure to pay child support or alimony, refusal to adhere to custody arrangements, or neglecting to transfer property or assets as stipulated in the divorce decree.

When it comes to the legal system in Mississippi, there’s a special type of court that might not be on your radar: the Chancery Courts. These courts play a unique role in handling cases that don’t quite fit the mold of regular law courts. Let’s dive into what makes these courts tick and why they matter.

What Are Chancery Courts?

Think of Chancery Courts as the “fairness courts.” They deal with situations where following strict laws might not lead to a fair outcome. These courts have been around for a long time, with roots tracing back to England. When Mississippi became a state in 1817, it decided to have Chancery Courts alongside regular law courts to make sure justice was served even in tricky cases.

Co-parenting with an ex can be extremely stressful, and many parents rely on child support payments to cover the child’s basic daily needs. So what happens when your ex stops paying child support or refuses to make payments? Is there any way to make them pay? Thankfully, there is. These are the steps you should follow if your ex has stopped making child support payments and refuses to pay. 

Get a Child Support Order

If you do not already have a child support order from the court, you’ll need to get one. A child support order is an order from the court, signed by the judge, that requires the non-custodial parent to pay a certain amount of child support each month. 

Child support is a payment made by the parent who does not have custody to the custodial parent to help cover the expenses of raising a child. Child support is typically ordered by a court, but in some cases, the parents can agree to a child support amount outside of court. There are several different methods for paying child support, discussed in detail below.

Common Ways People Pay and Receive Child Support

Personal check: This is a common method for paying and receiving child support payments, as it allows for easy tracking and documentation of the payments. It is important to note that personal checks can be cancelled or bounce, and it is the responsibility of the custodial parent to ensure that the check clears before spending the funds.

Contact Information